Saturday, May 19, 2012

Lets Take a Field Trip to Some Ancient Temples


I went on a field trip with some of my students to a Buddhist temple resort that is located right outside of Phnom Penh. At this resort, I was told that a small bone fragment of the Buddha is located in one of the sacred temples. I didn't actually get to see the bone because it was unclear of which one of the many temples it was in but none the less, I was completely enthralled and entranced by the historical land, the hundreds of steps leading up to the temples and the beautiful sense of calmness while walking around and viewing the temples.
   It actually took us about two and half hours to get there but my students were ready and pumped to leave our site right at six in the morning. We spent the whole day there and did not return until four o'clock. While we were traveling I kept thinking about how awesome it is for these students to have the opportunity to have this kind of experience. They get to visit an ancient temple amongst their teachers and friends and carry it with them for the rest of their lives. I loved that I had the chance to spend the day with them other than in a school setting. We laughed, took many pictures, said and did many silly things and overall just had good, old fun.









This is a picture of a famous and well respected monk who was murdered  in 2003 at one of the temples that we visited. My counterpart, Vanny, informed me that he held strong political views and may be the reason behind his death. His body is encased in a glass coffin where people can come and view.



No comments:

Post a Comment